As we hurl towards the end of the year, it’s time to look back and see what consumer insights were gathered from 2019 to ensure 2020 begins on a (profitable) high.
Thankfully, Google has done a lot of the hard work for us, based on Google and YouTube data and research.
The search engine giant has just released its top insights from 2019, reflecting on the latest trends of the last 12 months.
Here at esprit, we’ve narrowed it down to the top seven insights that you need to know. You’re welcome.
- Consumers are doing more research from their lounge room – 83 percent of US shoppers who visited a store in the last week say they used online search before going into a store. Consumers are more information savvy these days and will likely come into the store armed with a head of knowledge, sometimes correct and quite often incorrect. It’s up to every retail professional – YOU – to know their product(s) inside out so they can best educate the consumers.
- Mobile searches for ‘rewards app’ have grown by over 90 percent in the past two years – if your store or brand isn’t offering some kind of rewards or loyalty program, you may be losing money to competitors.
- Mobile searches for the word ‘personalised’ have grown by over 60 percent in the past two years. This is becoming more apparent in the beauty space as people are looking to buy personalised lipsticks, custom foundations and mix and match palettes. If you can’t offer personalised products, can you offer a more personalised service?
- About 45 percent of global shoppers buy online and then pick up in-store. They’ve already bought what they need. So, when they are in-store, don’t be afraid to maximise on potential impulse purchases.
- Nearly half of all shoppers say they confirm inventory before going to the store. Ensure the shelves are well-stocked and the inventory levels are accurate.
- ‘Best’ + ‘right now’ mobile queries have grown by over 125 percent in the last two years. If your customer is looking for the ‘best highlighter right now’ or ‘best concealer right now’ make sure you have something to offer them that is current and on-trend.
- Mobile searches for ‘store open near me’, such as ‘pharmacy open near me’ and ‘department store open near me’, have grown by over 250 percent in the last two years. It may not be a job for you but ensure the retailer you’re working for has their opening hours, address details and other information accurate and up to date.
By making sure you are across how consumers’ spending habits are changing and transferring these insights to the shop floor, we hope your January sales are the best yet.
The full Google report can be accessed here.